Thursday, December 10, 2020

So, does Michael 4 work in Iray?

 


Michael 4 in Iray; costume by Xurge3D



The short answer is -- yes, Michael 4 does work in Iray ... it just takes a bit of nipping and tucking! The top image is the Genesis 8 figure, Michael 8, with all materials, textures, surfaces designed for Iray -- it's plug and play, just click everything into place and hit render. This took about eight minutes (!), and I'm fairly happy with it. (The lights are unimaginative, but they're not the focus of the experiment. Time to get fancy with Michael 8 as we go along.)


But about 95% of everything I have is designed for the old raytrace engine; it's thousands of bucks worth of stuff ... surely there has to be a way to save it? I can't actually afford to buy everything again! So the question uppermost in my mind as always been, "Does Michael 4 work in Iray?"

Here's the answer to that! If you can configure the materials, surfaces, textures, the old low-poly models render up very nicely indeed. They don't have the "oomph" factor of the Genesis figures -- but they also render in a tenth of the time! Not too bad at all...

I've worked out how to install shaders and Poser content, and third party content to DAZ Studio 4.14 in Windows 10 -- and I'll share the details in my next post. I'll also share how to fix the surfaces to get Iray to render the old models nicely. So far, so good!