Monday, March 15, 2021

Just Another Day on Mars ... and repainting The Berserker


 

Now, here was a challenge! This is the Rebel character from Renderosity ... but no alchemy I know will make it install into DAZ Studio, so I wound up with a whole suite of gorgeous maps to slap onto Genesis 8 Female; and with the skinmap, makeup, tattoos and eyes configured, I basically designed a face that suited me! I have absolutely no idea how to install Genesis content from Renderosity: the file paths quoted by the designers do -- not -- work. They were probably designed for Windows 7, I suppose, and now that Windows 10 has booted all that out of an airlock, there's quite a bit of chaos going on. I spent a couple of hours on various forums, looking for answers, and I'm not alone in not being able to get Renderosity Genesis stuff to work --

Understand: the old stuff works just fine. If it was intended for Poser, and if you plunk it into the Runtime folder, it's soooo easy to get anything at all to install into Studio. But Genesis characters don't go into the Runtime folder! They live somewhere else ... and I'm still trying to figure it out. I have a few ideas, but to get this up and running now -- today -- fast -- I went the manual route, and came up with this. Nice! But yes, I'll continue to work on getting the file structure sorted. If I ever work it out, I'll tell you what I learned.

With an hour to spare, I went back into an old project that I was satisfied with a few years ago, but looking at it now, I knew for a fact, I can do better. So --

Please do have a look at this full sized, because it's worth a look -- and because the oil paper texture I stripped into the finished version doesn't show at this small size! It really adds a dimension to the picture --


That's about it for me, for today ... but something lovely is rendering in the background while I'm typing this! Got to run, now ... Dave is putting on a movie.