Tuesday, May 9, 2023

A barbarian, and more ... painting happily

 





As always, not much to say ... just images to share. Trying out new styles of art, flexing the  artistic muscles, seeing what can be done, and how. These are painted half in Photoshop, half in Krita ... the girl and cat is a a fixed-up version of an AI disaster ... I'm really only signing it because I worked long and hard to save it. The mushroom on the forest floor is from a photograph, again ... the barbarian is a first attempt at comic style art. I like it -- I must explore this at some length! 


Next projects ... a cat, for sure; maybe some dragons; perhaps a study of a couple of cute Tawny Frogmouths, if I can work out how to paint feathers, lol. I've "finished" the painting once ... nope. I didn't get feathers, I got fur! I need to go back and have a look at how artists like Natalie Jane Parker, or at least Jody Bergsma, paint feathers, and do it again. I have several rainy days coming up, in which I have nothing much to do but paint, and knit, and do Qigong, so fingers crossed that I can get this worked out!


Sooo, how much is AI, and how much is painting? Okay. I'll show you the kind of "visual noise," the mutated rubbish, AI is likely to hand me. This is what I'm getting ... sure, some people know how to get great images, but I don't seem to be able to make it work, LOL. Overall, I get trash like this -- I posted it at full size; you'll have to view it full size to see what's going on: visual noise. 


So you go and go and go, with AI, and you manage to salvage an element from this, an element from that, and stash them, to be used as part of a painting. In all honesty, 3D is soooo much easier! If I had a tonne of money, I'd just buy a wagonload of props and git renderin'! AI is starting to annoy me ... a lot. I've been mucking about with this for two months or so, and its entertainment value has pretty much palled for me, because (and I'm the first to confess this!) I can't make it work. Now and then I get a good image accidentally; 97% of the time, it's just what you see here: unpredictable, uncontrollable, surrealistic, often nightmarish or monstrous mutation. It's actually pretty disappointing, so you might not hear much more from me about AI art, unless something happens and I miraculously start to get pleasing results. Results that are worth the subscription fees these guys are charging. I'm still using the free sample services, and I'm not exactly inspired to pay bucks for this!


Signing off now, and call it a day. Goodnight to all...