Friday, January 12, 2024

Second Life ... repaints breathe fresh life into age-old renders. I like it!

 






An ode to the increasingly lost art of raytracing! There are no Iray renders in this post; one was rendered in Bryce 7 Pro ... all were heavily repainted in Photoshop to bring them to life ... make them deliver what the eye expects to see in 2024, after a decade of Iray, Lux, Octane -- and reams and reams of digital painting. The truth is, the old renders need the work. There was only so much I could squeeze out of Studio 3 -- and, from memory, people back in the day were always knocking Studio for having a less-than-great render engine built into it. True, the free version of the 3Delight render engine left a lot to be desired. It still does --

But that's not the point. The point is that it provides the artist with a canvas on which to paint. Which is what I'm doing here, as I breathe new life into so many old, old pictures, and ... it's fun. As whacked-out weird as this might sound, I'm actually enjoying this process a lot more than wrestling with Iray, and the new props and figures that are actually too much for this computer to handle...



Going back through the ancient archives as I tidy up this blog to make it functional for another decade, I'm impressed by a refrain that has been repeating from Day One: render blues. Render issues. First, all I could do was Deep Shadow Map -- any attempt to raytrace caused an instant crash. I bought a new PC to fix that problem. Then, I could raytrace but I couldn't turn on shadows, because that would crash the system. Upgrade the system. Then I couldn't run Iray. Then, I could run Iray, but not render a Genesis 8 figure. But a new computer.



On and on. It has to stop! In 2024, the problem (if I chose to go there: I don't) is that I can't render the new generation of props, costumes and hair for love or money. DForce crashes me now. I can only squeeze a limited amount into the old GPU without the system gridlocking and falling over. So I have to fall back on art. Painting. Cleverness. And I really am enjoying the painting process to the point where I'm longing to turn on Studio 4.x and ...! All I need now is the time. Ahem.