Friday, March 15, 2024

As you like it...

Genesis 8, Iray

Michael 4, raytrace

Digital painting, Photoshop

One factor has characterised the last month or so here in South Australia: heat/drought. The rain stopped. The heat came. It's been ... interesting, to say the least. Not fun, but -- interesting. No, I haven't done very much art in that time. Most days, I couldn't even turn on the computer. The PC enjoys the hot weather about as much as I do. In other words, not at all.

But for what it's worth, we're close to the end of this nonsense now. It's been autumn, officially, for two weeks, and we've had some actual rain (enough to end the drought, though it didn't go on for more than a day). Temperatures will be down by ten and fifteen degrees Celsius in the days and weeks to come, and I'm looking forward very much to getting back down to some art. Also writing.



For now ... these are repaints of old renders, some of which never even saw the light of day. They were done as tests and experiments, and appear to have been shelved, several years ago. Digging back through the archives is like hunting for buried treasure -- and finding it. 



So, what's your fancy? Iray, raytrace, painting?? It's tremendously interesting to compare results across a couple of engines. For instance:

Amadeus: firelight ... raytrace; and

Amadeus, identical costume -- Lux Render

Amadeus; same costume but the textures
have been switched so shaders ... Iray is different

What makes me chuckle a little is that the textures on the costume in the raytrace and Lux renders -- well, the pants he's wearing appear to be made from the cushions on the couch we had about ten years ago, and his shirt, I kid you not, is the crochet handbag I used to carry around 2012! Ooooh, I used to enjoy making textures and the displacement maps and opacity maps and reflection maps ... why did I ever stop?! 


Must get back to this. Start up Studio, go right back to good old Michael 4, finish reinstalling all my oooold Renderosity content (I only got about a third of it reinstalled before Genesis lured me away and everything started going awry again) and just ... have fun.



Note to self: have fun this time!