Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Painting on a hot, humid afternoon

a repaint of an old raytrace... second life.

also a repaint: coming back to the original,
it looks dull and boring. Now look at it!



At the end of summer, time seems to slow down. You're hanging on, waiting for the hot weather to end, desperate for rain, and everything ... slows ... down ... as if you're in the grip of some deadly time dilation. Falling into a gravity well where something you can't even see is going to roll you flat. Wellll, that's what it feels like when it's hot and humid and you're fed up of the season! 

Not much is going on, artistically (or any other way, come to that). Most of what I'm doing at the moment is editing, though I'm about to collaborate on a story project -- a true collaboration for the first time. Can't recall ever having done this before, but my writing partner and I have developed a very easy, almost symbiotic relationship, and it should be rewarding. Even easy. We'll see.

So I spent the afternoon editing and painting to pass away the time. Only the landscapes are truly new today; the others are repaints of old projects -- the barbarian on the horse really needed it. Coming back to it in 2024, I found it pretty dull and boring, though the idea was fine. Photoshop to the rescue. In fact, I like this one enough to recut and remount it. I'll leave you with this:


It also is a raytrace ... those are not shaders, which we use in Iray. In raytracing, you're responsible for all your own textures -- and I'm just remembering how much I used to enjoy doing that. Shaders can make the work easier, but it's nowhere near as rewarding as designing a whole suite of textures yourself -- some of them, hand painted. Soon as the weather breaks, I must start up Studio (for the first time in two years!) and ... play.