Saturday, November 30, 2019

Touching base again




Touching base with some re-posts ... eye candy really ... because it's been how long since I posted here? That's about how long it's been since I was able to do some fresh art. Have been sick (again), and on top of that I have (damnit) computer issues. For some time my desktop has been really struggling with Iray, and it's not a happy machine. What it can render is limited, and frankly, I'm pushing it too hard. If I don't watch out, I'm going to burn it out -- which doesn't alter the fact it'll be a year before I can get a new one! So...

I have a sneaking suspicion I'm going to have to revert to raytracing. Iray will have to go on the side burner till I can update the hardware ... that's the bottom line. Now, there's actually a lot to be said for old fashioned raytracing. Like this:





Sure, Iray is going to give you superior results (duh!), and also the Firefly engine built into Poser will give superior results (ditto) than the old 3Delight raytrace engine built into Studio ... but not when you're limping along with hardware that doesn't want to play nice anymore. Hmm.

Bear with me. I'm starting to recover my health a bit, and am juuuust about at the point where I want to see how far I can push raytracing, to get that last little bit out of it, before we get to Christmas 2020, and I'm breaking open a new box, spending two days installing software! I mean, get real here: this is a raytrace:


So let's give the poor old computer a break: stop trying to render stuff that looks photographic, and just turn out some lovely artwork. Yes? Yes. Okay. I used to enjoy the heck out of raytracing! It's over eight years since I did these:



So! Artwork coming up, rather than experiments in photo-realism ... let's just go out there and have fun, at least till I'm breaking open a new box!