Friday, March 31, 2023

Adventures in painting, misadventures in 3D...





I'll leave it to you to decide what was painted, what was rendered, what was generated by some machine ... suffice to say, the machine hands you images that are so whacked-out weird, if you don't paint -- a lot -- you wind up with nothing at all. Maybe it's just me, and the penny hasn't dropped yet, but I can't seem to get AI to give me a human face that doesn't look like it's been panned with a shovel! Sooooo ... it mostly comes back to painting. And it's lucky I enjoy painting! Not that every stroke you see here is painted: some come from the machine. But if you don't pick up the pen/brush --

What in the world are you going to do with images like this one, at left??? The horse on the bottom has five legs, and appears to have shed a hoof; the one flying along on top has three legs, and its front two are deformed and tied in a knot. That's eight legs between the two of them, and not one able-bodied animal in the picture. Insert eye roll. Again.

I need to start up DAZ Studio. Seriously -- need to. I haven't had the courage to run its gauntlet in a year now ... the crashes and system problems got to be more than I could handle. Hence this flirtation with AI twaddle, I suppose. But I'm enjoying painting far more than the machine aspect of this, and I do believe it's time I "ran home" to what I know best, and give it another shot. Let's go right back to good old Michael 4 and see if Studio will mind its manners and work properly, when it's not overburdened with the gazillions of polys it takes to build Genesis 8 characters, right? Right. Okay ... next opportunity I get --

But wait, was that the sound of procrastination or dread?! Very likely! But if I don't start up the dang software and give it a go, we'll never know! So. Stay tunes, folks...