Saturday, December 1, 2018

The Sentinel



How time flies! Here's a project I did four YEARS ago, and clean forgot to upload. Sure, you've seen the 3D render of this character, but I turned this one into an actual digital painting. And in fact, I like the digital painting much better than the renders... I was just sorting through old files and came across this. Sometimes I wonder where my brain is (or even if I have one...)

I've called this character "Raven," because of the black wings. The story is, he's a Guardian of the city ... nocturnal ... the last of his kind. I'd love to do something with this character, and this story; he's appeared in several other renders across the years. I've rendered him in Lux and Iray, but in fact -- I have to tell you the truth, I prefer the artistic "feel" of the raytraces, such as this one, which is the 2023 repaint of the 2019 version ... Photoshop magic:


...and while I was mucking about in Photoshop, I couldn't resist putting this one through the same process...! 


I must do more! In order to "bootstrap" this blog up into shape for 2024, I'm doing a lot of work ... getting rid of dead links and deadwood, and I just can't resist making the old images ... better!