Monday, January 11, 2021

Let snoozing dragons lie...


Having finished the edit on the book yesterday, today has been about learning all the stuff that's been sitting there, waiting for me since before Christmas. I have Studio, Affinity Photo, Affinity Publisher and the new Word open, and am using a new keyboard that's tying my fingers in knots! I have NOT run back to my old programs, not even once (not that I wasn't tempted!) ... so here's today's effort. Yep, we're into dragons, and Iray at last. Walking home through the meadow, you come upon a dragon who's juuust settling in to snooze for the evening -- big lizard, you understand; sun's going down. So steal by softly, and maybe he'll just take a sniff at you...

This is the Millennium Dragon 2, snoozing in Merlin's Wild Borders, with DOF on, Iray lights, and a sky designed in Terragen. Took about 30 minutes to render at high quality, after about 50 test renders at speedy settings. I learned a lot ... especially that studio 4 is not really "friendly" toward a lot of the older models; and that you can be as clever as you like with Iray lights and progressive rendering, and if you're not using Iray *materials* you'll end up with a storybook illustration, not photographic quality. So let's call it a storybook: I like it!