Thursday, January 14, 2021

The black horse returns, and not without drama!


Spent the whole afternoon on this piece, finding out what Affinity Photo won't do, as well as what it will, LOL. There's a few things it just doesn't seem to do -- or am I missing something?? Good thing I know how to paint, and have a tablet, because a couple of the things I'd counted on being easy turned out to be impossible. Anyway -- done. And now I'm exhausted, and looking for dinner. (First thing I has to do was go to DAZ and buy the Millennium Horse!

This is a new one on me. I've been rendering it for ten years and more ... obviously it was free with Studio 3, waaay back when, so I never bought it. Never had to. Well, the Mil Horse ain't free anymore, so when I installed Studio 4 on the new computer, all the tonne of horse stuff I had bought installed, but no base figure! Ack. Anyway, $15 solved that problem, and here we are. 
 

This is a render out of Studio 4, passed into Affinity Photo to be painted ... next time I paint, I might have a bash at painting in Krita instead, because Affinity isn't nearly as friendly toward painting as the old Photoshop was. I rendered the old Millennium Horse without the mane and tail, and added those separately. I also hand-painted the shadows, because this is a backdrop, not a set ... and set up this way, the old low-poly figure rendered in seconds, even at max quality in Iray. That pleased me greatly! The adventure continues...