Thursday, April 22, 2021

Installing third party content into DAZ Studio 4 ... new shaders, sets and toys!


I'd bought a gorgeous new set of shaders and set out to play with them, only to discover myself playing with lights, too ... and this happened. That's a heck of a nice picture. And...


This one makes me think of Purdey from The New Avengers -- is anyone old enough to remember that show? This is where shaders come into their own. This costume is put together from bits of four others, but a great shader on them makes the whole thing dovetail into something new. Kit bashing for fun. Continuing on --


This worked well. The background was rendered in Vue, many years ago (by Dave!),and it's the perfect sunset for DM's Sunedge set. I call this Forgotten. It was just a few minutes in Iray, because the older models and refreshingly low-poly; and then some quick post work in Photosop (birds, lens flare on the virtual camera), and it was done. Nice! Then --


This one, you're going to have to see full size, to appreciate the details. Throne of The Barbarian King, by Sveva, was on sale at Renderosity, and I couldn't resist. This was also the exact thing I needed to test out the installation paths for third party content going into Studio ... by George, I think I've got it. In fact, I know I have. When you're installing 3D goodies to Studio, the Zip file unpacks to produce a data folder and a Runtime folder. The data folder includes a sub-folder named for the designer of the goodies, and it gets unpacked/copied to this file path:

C:\Daz 3D\Applications\Data\DAZ 3D\My 3D Library\data\[designer]

There could also be an Environments folder (with the subfolder named for the designer within), and if there is, it gets unpacked/copied to --

C:\Daz 3D\Applications\Data\DAZ 3D\My 3D Library\Environoments\[designer]

...and after that, everything else is placed into the Runtime folder, same as always.

If you've been trying to work this out, this should get you going. I have much more to upload, and a very complex render cooking in the background as I type this, but I'll sign out here, and go looking for some dinner!