Thursday, April 8, 2021

Let's hunt some Orc!

 

Okay, I had some time on my hands ... not because I'm actually at a loose end; I'm supposed to be editing and/or writing, and I couldn't get my head around either, so I decided to say "stuff it, do something creative instead of just spinning my wheels." So I did the second and third renders in this series: Nock the arrow and aim, and the next one on, Orcs on the Rampage! Here he is --

The story is, this band of marauding Orcs has been raiding through Elven territory all night, and they've left a path of devastation. In the dawn, the hunters go on the trails to get them -- hence, "Archer in the dawn" ... but here's the Uruk in the moonlight. Not bad, actually:

This is based on The Freak! A Generation 4 figure which the Iray Converter makes absolutely compatible with Iray. I used the Falcon M4 skinmap, for its weird warpaint, and used the Morphs++ to create a real Uruk face, teeth and all. The axe is an old, old prop; I did all the surfaces in the Surfaces Pane -- no shaders on this. And somewhere in the course of doing all this work on the old props, I do believe I've stumbled over how to get displacement working in Iray. Stay tuned ... am not 100% sure yet, but if I'm right, this is going to be great. So...

...so I've had a marvellous day rendering, with some terrific results and, I think, something major learned. If I can get displacement mapping going in Iray, that really is the last hurdle to be scrambled over. I'm liking this character a lot, too; and I must do more with the M4 costumes on G8, and also see how good they can be made to look in Iray. Hmmm.