Saturday, April 10, 2021

Shamanic Visions, and an Elf about town

 


It might look like a simple image, but it's actually very complex! Took an hour to set it up, an hour to cook till the fireflies resolved, and then an hour to paint the next morning --


There's every technique in this one, from an under-painting generated specifically for this project, to the render itself, to 2D graphical layers (Renderosity to the rescue again -- so long as you really know what you're doing with the resources!) and photoshop brushes. I love the graphical layers:


This project was huge fun -- to begin with, playing with new 3D toys. The headdress is the Axarra Headdress for Genesis 8, and it's the most amazing prop to work with. The only downside is that, in closeup, it takes 12,500 samples to resolve all its fireflies, it's sooo poly-heavy. But it's worth the work, and the wait. I'll be using this again, often, I think ... there's so much you can do with it. I'd had my eye on it for some time, and when it popped up on sale for half price, well --!


I call that one Shamanic Visions, and it was big fun ... but there's more! You want fun? Try this:


That's our elven archer, from yesterday's Archer in the Dawn project, but this time it's a street scene, with leather jacket and shades. Elf about town. How realistic is that? It's almost, almost at the level where you'd just accept it as a snapshot or selfie in the street. Moreover, that's G8 wearing Michael 4's sunglasses; I redid the surfaces for Iray with shaders, and they worked just fine. Well, there's more, but I'm tired so I'm calling it a day. ack tomorrow, with pretty things!