Saturday, October 10, 2009

3D art imitates both life and traditional art

One of the most, uh, interesting aspects of 3D art is that you can be as tasteful as you like ... and you can get as, um, raunchy as you like ... very little is impossible with this art form! Here's the ticklish part: our culture is so paranoid about the human body, when you order a 3D model (!) you have to order, download and install his, uh, dangly bits separately! Yep, you read that right.

Anyway, never let anyone tell you that 3D art can't be real art. It all depends on how you approach the setup for the scene, and how it's executed, and what post production work you want to do on it. You can get VERY artistic. To wit, the piece above. I did it for a book cover, so it's in that 2:3 ratio (books are usually 6x9) again. The book is about a vacation romance on a Greek island etc., so I wanted something with a Mediterranean "feel." I had a series of stock shots I captured in the Barossa a couple of years ago: perfect.

Then ... the model. And if you've looked at any (or all!) of my previous posts, you'll know by now that the model is actually the easy part. You import the Michael 4 ... you choose a hairstyle ... you choose a hair color (and/or fiddle with the "surfaces" yourself; it takes time, but I often to this to get just the effect I want). Then, use your x,y and z controls to turn him around and the bones animation controls to pose him. Then you fiddle with the lights, and before you know it fantastic shots are just jumping out of the screen.

This one was also color graded in post production, to "green up" the quality of the light. The result is a beauty. Hats off to DAZ Studio 3. I'm impressed. And their new model -- Michael 4 -- is the most amazing raw material I think I've seen yet. Kudos, guys.

And now -- NEWS!!

My portfolio just went online. Find it here: http://www.dream-craft.com/jade/

There's more than 60 pieces online there, and I'll be expanding it as time goes by!



Jade, 10 October