Sunday, April 11, 2010

Merlin's Medieval Tavern ... amazing!





2014 Edit: here you are seeing several; renders from 2021, done in Iray ... the original 2010 renders have gone down the black hole, like so many others. I have a couple of thumbnails left to show what they were, but ... nothing exciting. No reason to shed a tear over them. 


Merlin's Medieval Tavern ... what can I say? "Blown away" is the line that leaps to mind! It's going to be two posts today from me, almost certainly. Was on a tea break and installed this incredible 3D set ... and frankly, it's so amazing, I just had to do a few quick renders and share these!

... and this is only one tiny corner of it! You're flying the camera around the inside of a box: look up, down, left right, everything is 100% detailed -- then you can fly out of the box and zip around the outside of the set.

There's kitchens, bedrooms, stables, the lot ...! I just need to find my way around ... because you fly the camera down passageways and through doors... it's exactly like playing a video game, but when you find just the camera angle you want, you stop and render the shot.

Incredible! This is going to be fun beyond describing! I have noticed that even the quad core slows down a little bit with the sheer weight of props loaded in, so it's going to be interesting adding Michael and Victoria into the scenes. For the first time ever I might have to switch to wire mesh display. I'm cool with that. The alternative is to render backgrounds and ship them into a separate scene as 2D backdrops, and then load up the Tavern props in that scene as the foreground materials.

Whoa! Anyway -- had to share this! I know there's now around 30 people visiting this blog regularly, and a lot of you are taking the same path of development as myself in this field of artwork. So there's a number of you folks who'll be interested to see these first, early-days renders ... and here they are. Merlin's Medieval Tavern ... Jade's rating: 6 out of 5 stars!

Jade, 12 April