Tuesday, November 17, 2009

God of War

Setting up the lights for this wasn't nearly as difficult as I'd thought it was going to be -- this is the model lit by four spotlights against a flat black background. There's a white light on the chest and face, a red light at his right side, low down; then a gold light at his left hip level; and a dim green light to pick out the weapon's upper blade. And yes, the strategically placed weapon is, uh, strategically placed. Is this a knockout, or what?!

I guess this is the point where 3D composition and art really do merge into one, and my hat's off to DAZ ... the software is amazing. It's only taken me (!) 14 weeks to get to the point where I can achieve an image like this without sweating too much blood over it...! (Sound of sarcasm there -- actually, the learning curve isn't steep, it's just relentless. There is SO much to learn, even to get to the point of being able to knock out art like the above -- and I have to add here, this is where the software starts, not ends.

My next assignment is to learn how the Deform tools work; and how to absolutely control the textures of things; and how to make, and apply, my own materials to the models. And how to make models for myself in Hexagon -- not people, but things ... like a goblet, a coffee cup, a fork, jewelry, odds and ends that would really jazz up a scene.

What can I say? It's going to be all kinds of fun.

Jade, 18 November